Police Traffic Charges
If you’ve been charged with a traffic offence, you’ll know that it has the potential to have a terrible effect on your life. But the good news is that if you have received a fine or been charged with a traffic offence, the sooner you act, the better off you’ll be. That means getting the right advice from an experienced traffic lawyer.
What is traffic law?
Police traffic charges can cover a range of offences including:
- Drink driving
- Drug driving
- Dangerous driving
Penalties will depend on the seriousness of the charge and can include demerit points, fines, licence cancellation or even imprisonment.
Knowledge and experience
Websters Lawyers has a dedicated team of criminal and traffic lawyers, including former prosecutors. They are experienced in all traffic issues and can represent you in any South Australian Court including suburban Magistrates Courts.
Keeping your licence
Whether you have been fined or charged with an offence, your best chance of keeping your licence is to get legal advice as soon as possible.
We offer a free initial consultation in which we will explain to you:
- The charges and potential penalties.
- The court process.
- Whether you have a defence to the charge.
- Whether there are grounds to reduce the fine or the number of demerit points involved.
We will also provide you with an estimate of the cost involved in either:
- Defending the charge, or
- Assisting you to present your case to court if you wish to admit the offence.
Did you know?
- Once you have paid an on-the-spot fine for a traffic offence, there is nothing you can do to avoid incurring demerit points. Payment of the fine is treated as an admission that you committed the offence. If you wish to dispute it, you need to get legal advice before you pay the fine.
- An Immediate Loss of Licence Notice is issued by police for some drink driving offences. Sometimes, the charge can be dismissed. But if, before the charge is dismissed, you haven’t applied to have the notice set aside, you will not be able to seek compensation for any loss. It’s crucial to get legal advice as soon as possible to ensure that you are able to claim all the compensation to which you’re entitled. Otherwise, you could really be missing out.
- Even in traffic cases, there can be great value in conducting on-site investigations to gather evidence about distances, line of vision, construction of the road and other things. This can be discussed at your initial interview.
Do you need to write a character reference for court? Click here to download the PDF file.
For further information read our Traffic Law Brochure.
FREE FIRST INTERVIEW
NO WIN NO FEE
LOCAL LAWYERS FOR LOCAL NEEDS
GET THE RIGHT LAWYER FIRST
Having such a short time frame I was very impressed with the outcome made by [my solicitor]. Excellent and timely manner
Very professional mannerism and overall great outcome was delivered by Websters Lawyers.
West Ryde NSW
Helpful, explained fully, patient, excellent service.
Patient and helpful in explaining the process.
Call Websters Lawyers for a most professional and friendly service. All understanding with [my solicitors] and the reception staff. Thank you so much.
Making my will was effortless on my part, with everything explained clearly. Well done to all.
Great service, professional, explains things clearly, definitely recommend Websters Lawyers.
Patient, professional, good communication about procedures and probable outcomes.
Thank you for all your work over the course of the case. You [both] were always very approachable and I appreciated your understanding and professionalism in all areas.
All in all my experience was great. Thank you for your time and expertise.